In our family, when one of the children has a birthday we celebrate them in one way by allowing them to pick out a few of their favorite treats and snacks that we put on display and allow them to eat throughout their special day.(of course they are expected to share with their siblings too!)
However, once the presents were opened, I felt like the jars of treats looked lonely on the table by themselves, so I decided to make a runner that would look festive all day long!
Here are the instructions to make your own Celebration Table Runner.
Finished size: approx. 15″ X 47″
This project first appeared over on the Riley Blake Designs blog.
4 fat quarters of the primary colors- Red, Orange, Green and Turquoise (Most of the fabrics are from the Riley Blake Basics lines, the Green, Turquoise, Yellow and Red are from the Bloom and Bliss line)
3 fat eighths- coral, navy and gray (could use scraps for these)
1/2 yard- Yellow (for blocks and binding)
1/4 yard white for blocks and sashing
1 yard backing fabric (you could use 1/2 yard and use left overs from the fat quarters to piece together the difference.)
For Present Blocks (total of 5 blocks)
5- 7 1/2″ X 8″ rectangles for box (red, yellow, turquoise, green, orange)
10- 3″ X 3″ squares (2 of each color- gray, coral, turquoise and 4 navy)
5- 1 1/2″ X 2 1/4″ rectangles (one of each- gray, coral, turquoise and 2 navy)
10- 1 1/2″ X 1 1/2″ squares white fabric
5- 1 1/2″ X 1 1/4″ rectangles white fabric
10- 1 1/4″ X 3″ rectangles white fabric
6- 1 1/2″ X 10″ white fabric
2- 1 1/2″ X 44 1/2″ white fabric (piece together)
28- 2″ X 5″ rectangles- various colors for pieced scrappy border
*use a 1/4″ seam allowance and press all seams toward colored fabric
1. On the 1 1/2″ squares draw a line connecting two opposite corners.
2. Place the white squares on the 3″ colored squares as shown.
3. Sew along the drawn line.
4. Trim off the corner at a scant 1/4″ seam. Press.
5. Sew together the 1 1/2″ X 1 1/4″ white rectangle to the 1 1/2″ X 2 1/4″ colored rectangle. Press
6. Rotate the 3″ squares so the white corners are positioned as shown. Sew to either side of the 1 1/2″ X 3″ pieced rectangle. Press.
7. Sew the 1 1/4″ X 3″ white rectangles to either side of the bow. Press.
8. Sew the bow to the top of the corresponding box (the 7 1/2″ X 8″ colored rectangles)
9. Repeat for the 4 remaining present blocks.
1. Arrange present blocks in desired arrangement, alternating direction of the present.
2. Sew 1 1/2″ X 10″ white sashing to the sides of the present blocks.
3. Sew 1 1/2″ X 44 1/2″ white sashing to top and bottom of runner. Press
4. Piece together the 2″ X 5″ border squares to create 2 sets of 4 and 2 sets of 10, along the 2″ sides. Press seams open.
5. Sew the long borders to the top and bottom of the runner. Press. Trim off excess.
6. Sew the short border pieces to the sides of the runner. Press. Trim off excess.
All that’s left is to quilt and bind your runner.
Oh, and of course, use it and Enjoy!!