So, technically, this isn’t a mantel, but it’s as close as I can get in this house. I’m still loving my turquoise dresser and it makes me happy every time I walk in the door. Last year I purged quite a bunch of my holiday decorations, so I wasn’t sure how this year’s decorating would look, but I’m pretty happy with it, at least this little spot anyway.
I promised when I posted the Love Word Art a few weeks ago that I would post a Halloween version, well, it took me a bit longer than I intended, but better late than never, right? And, if you’re looking for something to craft up this weekend, this is a quick project that you can finish in just a couple hours, including drying time. The instructions for creating the word art are the same as in the previous post. Cut out three layers of letters from cereal boxes and one set from scrapbook paper. Use a thin layer of glue to hold them together, make sure to get the edges well. I like to let them sit under some books for a while to press all the layers together well (after gluing all 4 layers together), just place them in between sheets of wax paper and make sure you don’t have huge amounts of glue hanging out of the edges. While the letters are drying you can paint your stir sticks and stands. For the orange stand I used a wood candlestick. The black stand is a bunch of wooden pieces glued together. I have no idea where you could get them, perhaps Hobby Lobby? My Mother-in-Law had a whole bucket of turned wood pieces and I found them in there.
To finish off the “Spooky” art, I glued different sized googly eyes to the two letter “O”s. I used hot glue on the bigger eyes and a glue pen for the small ones. (I didn’t want to burn my fingers) 😉 One thing to note is that I did not glue the stir sticks to the stands. I wanted it to be easier to store them, and especially with the black stand, I might use it again for other holidays so I wanted to keep it available. I glued the eyes on the letters before I glued the letters to the stir stick.
This “Creepy” word art might be my favorite. These little plastic spiders I found at my dollar store were just perfect. Originally I was going to just have the spiders on the letters, but it was making the letters look too busy and a little hard to read. That’s when I had the idea to create a swarm coming up the bottom of the word, and oh, my! The effect is perfect! I did glue the letters onto the stir stick before I added the spiders in this case, I wanted to be able to have some of the spiders climbing onto the letters so they needed to be attached.
I had the opportunity to be on a local TV station sharing this craft. If you want to know what I sound/ look like in person, or see this craft come together in action, click over. 🙂 The other project in this clip is another simple project, the spider specimen art can be found here.
I hope you’re having a wonderful autumn. Ours could not be more perfect. The weather has been warm and dry- all month long. October sure knows how to treat us right, this year anyway. 🙂
love you all,